BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, August 3, 2008

I Have An Issue

I find that I refer to anyone's baby as the little one. Why do I do that? I think I have an idea. Maybe I'm trying not to look at the baby as real or something. I know he/she is there, but I guess if I don't identify with him/her, it doesn't hurt as much. I find it incredibly hard to compliment people on their babies. I practically choke on the words as they're coming out. I know I'm just wishing it was me that had a baby but I just can't help it. I'm thinking this will be this way for a while (i.e. when I have my own baby) so please, don't be angry with me if I don't compliment your baby, or if i pretend like you're not pregnant. I notice, it just kills.

Geolocate this post

Posted with LifeCast

3 comments:

Christina said...

I guess that isn't as bad as what I call the girl at works brat: the child. I don't refer to her as that in front of her, just to other people.

Anonymous said...

i know EXACCTLY how you feel. it's as if not staring a monster directly in the eyes changes how scary it is. (not that i'm calling children monsters, not at all) walking into the grocery store is just as scary as coming face to face with our biggest fear. it feels as if parents are gloating, although we know they're completely blind to our pain. and the parents who complain about their little blessings just rub salt in the wound.
all in all...i think choosing to keep ourselves guarded is just natural. i certainly don't want to set myself up for any more pain.

Jenn said...

LOL Christina.

Emma, yes it is like facing a monster. I am a little bit better now that I'm home visiting because there aren't as many pregnant women cuz it isn't a military town here, but, it still strikes ya good when you see a cute newborn. Those are the worst (cuz they're the best).